Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

SONGS FOR SATURDAYS VOLUME I




Friends...



My hard drive recently crashed so I have been recovering all my music. I'm almost glad it happened because I'm discovering new stuff (to me and just coming out) along with rediscovering the old stuff that really blew my mind at one time or another.

I also have a friend with a new ipod. I've been sending him stuff that I get that I think he would like, and I got the idea to start making these mixes so he could tell me what he liked and didn't. 

When I sat down to make this play list it was cold, gloomy NYC day. My mind went back to Saturdays in my home state of
Georgia. Saturdays were always filled with music. Whether it was cleaning the house, watching college football, grilling, chillin at the lake, or just a relaxing drive through the country, the tunes were cranked. Most of the time with one or more said activities going on simultaneously cold beverages would flow and good times were had with friends and loved ones. Easily the soundtracks to these memories started to flow and the list was made.

So here you go... “Songs for Saturdays Volume 1”. I'm just gonna copy and paste the email I sent my buddy. 

“Gonna try and do one of these every couple of weeks. I must advise you that all songs should be played at the highest volume you have without distortion. Careful when operating heavy machinery, or driving cause you may feel the urge to break into a jig, or drive over the speed limit while punching the roof of your car.
This is a random sample of my musical likes, but I have tried my best to put them in an order that flows. I recommend starting with track one and lettin it ride.”
Track List:

1) Little Feat - Sample in a Jar
One of the forefathers of southern rock, they got it all blues, soul, funk, just good ol rockin roll. Covering a Phish tune here. 

2) The Meters - It Ain’t No Use
One of my favorite songs all time by the greatest band you've never heard of. **Warning** There is an extremely long jam at the end.

3) Blitzen Trapper - The Man Who Spoke True
Great song off they're new album, I like what this band is doing

4) Allman Brothers - Wasted Words
Classic! If you can’t get down to the Allman Brothers we may never be friends.

5) Phish - Funky Bitch
Not the biggest Phish fan in the world but when they want to, they can rock out... Get ready for some FUNK!

6) Ryan Adams - To be Young
This guy is pretty good. He has a huge fan base. It’s hard getting into his stuff because it’s just endless... He has like 12 studio albums, countless live recordings and unreleased material. This is off his first album "Heartbreaker", great album in my opinion.

7) Grateful Dead - Goin Down the Road Feeling Bad
This is just a great tune... From 1972, but crystal clear and flawless. Pioneers of Jam and Progressive rock, the GD let it fly on this 1924
Harry Whitter tune. Jerry's guitar sooths like a woman’s touch and blisters like the sun all on one track. Case in point on why I love the Grateful Dead. A song that starts out so smooth then just gets nasty!

8) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Great song, by a great song writer!

9) Billy Joel - Moving Out
Yeah... I put Billy Joel on here. It's Saturday.. Go Fuck Yourself.

10) Dire Straights - Setting me up
Upping the tempo here. Mark Knophler is just a genius on guitar. This Track is off their self-titled album, one of my favorites all time

11) Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns, & Money
The late, great Warren Zevon. "I was gambling in
Havana, I took a little risk. Dad, send Lawyers, Gun, and Money! Get me out of this... HA!
Say's it all.

12) Jason Isbell and the 400 Units - However Long
Formerly of the Drive by Truckers... This guy is going places. This is an older tune, but they have a new album coming out next month... Lots of potential here.

13) Son Volt - Jukebox of Steel
Another band that has been around for a while. Big time in the alternate country world. If you don't know what alt country is, its musicians that write awesome lyrics and make they're living out on the road bringing it every night as opposed to the fags on CMT and the radio. You get that label these days but really they just hold true to what country music originally was.

14) The Dustin Bentall Outfit - 3,000 Miles
I have no idea who these guys are. I stumbled across this song on another alt country mix-tape called True Sounds. I actually got those two previous songs of it too. It comes out once a quarter. Always good stuff on it. Its rocks, especially on Saturdays.

15) - 16) Widespread Panic - Maggot Brain>Chilly Water
This is two tracks but really should be one. I gotta put some panic on, you know that. If I would have never gotten into them I would not have been opened up to all the above music, minus the Billy Joel I guess. As for these tracks, get ready to hear someone totally annihilate a guitar. This is just a nice jam that turns into a freakin monster. Mikey is completely relentless in this solo, taking the momentum higher and higher at every round, driving the band and driving the crowd into bedlam and pandemonium. Then back to earth for a breath only to drop into the rocker that is CHILLY WATER! As my pops would say, "If this don't light your fire, your wood is wet".

17) Ray LaMontagne -
New York City is Killing Me.
Off his new album "God Willing and The Creek Don't Rise". I love it here, but I can relate to this so much. This place takes as much as it gives, and I miss my boys back home.

18) Outro
(Apache - Jump on it) Little braves homerun music remix. Happy Saturday!



M Link

No comments:

Post a Comment